Thursday 10 April 2008

tuesday night racing starts again!

Well it looks like the club Tuesday night races have kicked off again.... technically they started over a week ago, but I was marshalling so didn't get to ride.

Anyhoo.... course was a 8.5 mile loop around Lyle Hill Upper... (note the clue in the title) and it was a TT. I'd never ridden a TT before so it was all new to me! Got the aero bars clipped onto my titanium bike... plugged in the deep jet 50's and got ready to go. I warmed up with a lap that alternated between hard efforts and some recovery which actually seemed to work pretty well.

So the timing guys were out in force helping out with things too... I went off 4th. The course started on an uphill which I took mostly out of the saddle, then round a tight corner with gravel (whaaa.... skid on the front wheel!!) onto a downhill section where I dropped into an aero tuck on the bars and started to power out... this rolled up and down for a bit till the main hill which is quite steep... out ofthe saddle again to get up this... legs burning now... heart at about 170bpm... over the top, back into tuck... getting up some speed now... around 36mph keep it going till the next turn which was safer than the last.... rolled on trying to keep it going nice and quick with a decent cadence.... onto the 7 mile straight... starting to roll a bit more with a bit of a drag... legs are now seriously on fire and aching... cadence is dropping... heart rate is rising.... final turn for about one more mile back to start... all uphll... argh... spin spin gotta get up this....

Finished in a time of 18.40.... not bad for it! And mid table obscurity for me in the club league so far....

What I did notice is that I was churning a bigger gear in the aero tuck... I think the position doesn't help it. Not sure if a higher cadence of about 110 like in races would have helped? Only one way to find out I guess.

Next tuesday is a road race proper... lets go!

Also... just found the vid from Sox on youtube:

No comments: