Monday 10 March 2008

Newry Race - John Haldane Memorial 9th March 2008

So, it was the first race of the this years season for me after having missed a) the club reliability and b) the annaclonse gp and the phoenix gp due to the dreaded doom. And I was, quite frankly, cacking myself.

The race itself is on the Kilkoo circuit, 3 laps of a 13 odd mile loop that is more rolly than hilly. Tailwind out and a blustery head wind on the way back in.

The race itself started really quickly with the tailwind and the group was up to well over 30mph without a second thought... condition of the road wasn't great and I tried as hard as I could to stay out more to the right.
So far so good, I managed to hold my position reasonably well up close to the front, but not at the point of it... I wasn't feeling that frisky!

The race rolled on with a lot of folks having many a crack at splitting the group.... but it just didn't seem to happen... maybe its like this in most third cat races?

I managed to stay in touch with the front of the race right round for all of the laps... and had a wee dig off the front on the third lap... managed to stay away from all of about 5 mins :-) then got reeled in sharpish as I turned back into the headwind.



Anyhoo... it all finished up in a bunch sprint at the end, and after taking an inadvertant shove on each side I backed off... 15th or 50th... still means no points!

Was a good race I thought anyhoo and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to next weekend now!

No comments: