Friday 23 January 2009

in anger.

In anger. Is what I've not ridden my fixed gear bike in, since I broke my collar bone. As it's all healed and sorted out now, I thought as part of this weeks training regime (which has consisted of wine most nights), I would take it to work today and do an easy spin in over 5 or 6 miles, nothing too hard.

So I did.
And I think I'm still feeling pretty skittish on it. Nothing I can put my finger on specifically, but I seem to keep looking for something to go wrong on it. Not great taking off from a stop either and I'm also definitely not as confident riding in traffic on it as I used to be. Although, this morning it was cold and the roads felt a bit greasy too which didn't help.

Argh. One thing I've just remembered. I work on the 2nd floor and you have to ride up the ramps... so obviously I also have to ride down. Hmm... perhaps not such a good idea.

Also, I'm not quite sure where this leaves me with the fixed gear/track bike. The first season I did it, I loved it. But I never crashed that season... so will I go back to it this year? I don't know... I know I will be doing a lot of the club races which are on Tuesday nights anyway, so that rules out some of the track cycling... or is that just an excuse? Should I just sell the bike and give up on the fixed gear stuff?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I don't understand - why is a bike with a fixed gear (is this like a kid's bike with no gear change lever?) more scary than a normal bike? Clearly I am a cycling imbecile. Don't break any more bones!!