Tuesday 9 December 2008

Stupidity and or Ignorance.

Today I was amused at lunchtime. Out and about seeing if I could acquire some more Christmas pressies for folks... and then swung by subway to pick up some food. In fairness... what i really wanted was a pastrami and corned beef deli sandwich from new york with an obscene amount of meat... but this is Belfast.... chances are slim.

(why do we not get nice meats like that all over the show? I reckon if I were in NY, I would have people throwing pastrami at me.... mmmm.)

Background info: As some of you may know there is a contamination scare on Irish pork at the moment... some dimwit either accidently added something toxic... or else was trying to cut corners. Hmmm.

Anyhoo... in subway... and just getting my tuna on wheat... and there are some signs saying they're not putting pork products into the subs for a while. So this guy rolls up:

guy: Can I get an italian bmt (this has pepperoni, salami, ham)
subway dude: No, we're not doing pork products at the moment sir.
guy: ok, can I get a turkey and ham?
subway dude: No, we're not doing pork products at the moment sir.
guy: hmm... can I get chicken and bacon then?
subway dude: No, we're not doing pork products at the moment sir.
guy:.... I am an idiot. (he didn't say that though...)

Oh how I laughed... inwardly of course as he was bigger than me.

Anyhoo... on another note... this scares / annoys me a little, as it just shows how little people actually know about where their food actually comes from. So many people these days think chicken comes in a pre-packed container from the supermarket and have no idea of how it got there or what it went through,

Yes, sometimes I eat crappy meat... I'm no saint either, but I do know where it comes from and how it lived & died... I'm not proud of it and I only do it occaisonally and then feel bad about it.

/dismount the high horse.

No comments: