Monday 1 December 2008

Eating out.

Out for din-dins on Saturday night. Myself, Mrs Henderson, Rich Bell and Jayne Bell all off to the Mourne Seafood bar. The one in Belfast... not Newcastle direction. And I have to say that I was very impressed by it.

I had a starter of goats cheese and roasted beetroot, followed by halibut on crushed potatoes and a cream style sauce... can't remember the exact composition of the thing... but it was damn good. Washed down with a nice langedoc wine. Yum yum. I would definitely go back there for more of the eats.

One thing about eating out in Belfast is that it can be hit and miss. Previously Nicks Warehouse used to be a favourite... but the last time we were there it was just ok. As in, you could do better at home if you know what you are about. And as its still quite expensive, around 80-90 squids for two peoples... its not worth trying again to see if they've gotten better. I wouldn't mind giving it another chance though.

Other places that I like a lot in Belfast:
Cayenne
James St South
Mourne Seafood bar
The Point - Ballyhackamore
The elk - Dundonald

In fairness, the last two are not exactly fine dining... but they do damn good bistro style food and are priced accordingly.
And when you feel like the beefs.... Tony Roma's is hard to beat.

I would like to see more mexican style cusine kicking around Belfast though... apparently there is a new place called Chillis in Victoria Square which does Tex-Mex style stuff and I wouldn't mind giving it a go.
Adios!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Is that the American chain Chilli's or some other place with the same name? I liked the American one for what it was. The Point is just great :) I miss places like that, and Beatrice Kennedy's for posh grub, or pub lunches in the Empire or Benedict's...

*drool*

Marty said...

Yeah its the same one as american Chilli's... its pretty darn good and it is what it is and I like it!